Latest Scores
  • Feb 7 / Boys' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 37, DuPont - 33
  • Feb 7 / Girls' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 38, DuPont - 8
  • Feb 7 / Boys' SoccerDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 4, DuPont - 1
  • Sep 27 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Springfield Middle School - 45
  • Sep 20 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 28, Fort Caroline Middle School - 28
  • Sep 13 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Westside Middle School - 32
The Student News Site of Darnell-Cookman Middle-High School

The Monitor

66°
66°

The Monitor

66°

The Monitor

All Things Grad Bash
All Things Grad Bash
April 19, 2024

How to Be Successful in High School

Tips to Maintain Good Grades

When entering high school, it can be tough to get used to the pace of work. The 1st semester has finished. Some students might’ve been disappointed with grades they got, while some might be satisfied.

It is important to maintain good grades during high school because they will affect your life even after you graduate. It is best to start routines that will help you sooner than later. Here are some helpful tips from seniors at our school:

Organize work.

Remember to keep your notes organized because they will pile up after you start to get more work. Get a planner. Once you get an assignment write it in your planner and check it when you get home. Keep a/b day folders or binders, so you always bring the right assignments to school.

Study efficiently.

Don’t study things you already know. Try to comprehend your notes (don’t just read them). Don’t procrastinate. It is never good to do things at the last minute. Start with your hardest homework first. Finish your work for that (a/b) day first and then do work for the next day.

Ask for help.

If you have questions don’t be afraid to ask your teacher or classmates. It is better to ask for help than to not understand what you are learning.

Enjoy high school

“Find a good friend group. Having reliable friends that you really enjoy hanging out with goes a long way for your mental and emotional health. Join clubs, activities, sports, etc. Not only would it aid graduation, it’s also part of what colleges look for, and even better, it’s fun! Being in all of my leadership positions around the school definitely takes a toll, but the experiences and everything you can gain from it for the future is definitely worth it”.

-Larry Winters (5000 Role Models President and Key Club Treasurer)

Don’t give up

“Sometimes, especially towards the end of the year, it will feel overwhelming, and you will feel like you cannot continue moving forward, but it is important to ask God for strength and just continue moving forward, keeping your head held high, and continuing to preserve in your path.”.

-Naimony Colon-Lopez (Senior Class President)