Latest Scores
  • Feb 7 / Boys' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 37, DuPont - 33
  • Feb 7 / Girls' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 38, DuPont - 8
  • Feb 7 / Boys' SoccerDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 4, DuPont - 1
  • Sep 27 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Springfield Middle School - 45
  • Sep 20 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 28, Fort Caroline Middle School - 28
  • Sep 13 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Westside Middle School - 32
The Student News Site of Darnell-Cookman Middle-High School

The Monitor

72°
72°

The Monitor

72°

The Monitor

All Things Grad Bash
All Things Grad Bash
April 19, 2024

Has Marvel gone downhill?

The answer is yes.

Well-loved movie company Marvel has been losing popularity and fast. But is there a real reason for this loss in popularity? Many fans would argue that the answer is yes. With the death of many favorite superheroes comes the death of the audience’s interest in the movie franchise.

We all know and love the original Avengers, but the team has been split up in recent movies. The death of popular superheroes like Captain America and Iron Man has left the movies feeling empty. The new characters don’t seem to fill the hole left behind. Movies with new characters that fans aren’t attached to seem to be doing substantially worse at the box office.

For example, “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” made a whopping $845.6 million, while “The Marvels” only made $206 million. “The Marvels” sported a brand new trio of superheroes, while the “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” crew has been around since 2014.

Marvel is relying too much on the loyalty of its fans. They continue to pump out projects one after another with no regard for the quality. Many fans feel that these plots aren’t as fresh and fun as they used to be. After Marvel was bought by Disney, they seem to have taken the quantity over quality approach.

“They’re trying too hard to cling onto what was. But these new movies and series are just not good. And all the good Avengers are either dead or in the 1940s,” says Aubrey Medick, a long-time Marvel fan.

The budget cuts taken to release more content faster are becoming evident. One of the biggest complaints of long-time fans is that not only has the quality of the stories taken a nosedive but the visual quality as well. The CGI in Marvel movies hasn’t been doing too hot lately.

That being said, the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) has been around for a long time. The first Marvel movie, Iron Man, was released in 2008. There are only so many original superhero plots you can make before it starts getting old.

“Everything fell off after Avengers: Endgame,” says Erika Canoura.

Maybe it’s just time to retire the Marvel movies. The movies are no longer original or fun. There’s only so much superhero fans can watch before they get fatigued.