Latest Scores
  • Feb 7 / Boys' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 37, DuPont - 33
  • Feb 7 / Girls' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 38, DuPont - 8
  • Feb 7 / Boys' SoccerDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 4, DuPont - 1
  • Sep 27 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Springfield Middle School - 45
  • Sep 20 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 28, Fort Caroline Middle School - 28
  • Sep 13 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Westside Middle School - 32
The Student News Site of Darnell-Cookman Middle-High School

The Monitor

75°
75°

The Monitor

75°

The Monitor

All Things Grad Bash
All Things Grad Bash
April 19, 2024

Black History Month Recap

February is nationally dedicated as Black History Month. There are plenty of figures to draw attention to in such little time. Here are a few that have been spoken of in the morning announcements, and a few more!

The concept of BHM (Black History Month) was developed by Carter G. Wilson who started ‘Negro History Week’ in the second week of February. Carter G. Wilson was dubbed the “father of Black history” as he used that designated time to promote and educate populations about Black history and culture.

Black students and Civil Rights Leaders aided in the popularization of BHM. BHM was officially established in 1976 when President Gerald Ford recognized his obligation to pay homage to the “neglected accomplishments of Black Americans.”

There have been many historical figures/future historical figures mentioned throughout the month of February on our morning announcements. Such as Beyonce Knowles, Kobe Bryant, Thurgood Marshall, and Asa Phillip Randolph.

There was even a little fact display set up in the doorway to the guidance office. It gives a summary of figures like Jesse Owens, Kamala Harris, Amanda Gorman, and Nelson Mandela.

A few key Black American figures who have gone unrecognized this year are Mary Kenner, Claudette Colvin, and Gordon Parks.

Mary Beatrice Davidson Kenner was an African American inventor most known for her invention of the adjustable sanitary belt. This is the predecessor to the pads that women use every day.

Claudette Colvin was 15 years old when she refused to give up her seat to a white person in Montgomery. This occurred a full nine months before Rosa Parks’ famous act of defiance. Claudette went on to become one of the four plaintiffs in Browder v Gayle, which ruled Montgomery’s segregated bus system as unconstitutional.

To close out the month we had a fashion show last Thursday during fourth period on A day in the cafeteria. It was our first time ever having a fashion show for black history month. It was very well put together in such a short period of time.

This was promoted and organized by Darnell’s very own Black Student Union ran by Har’mani Leak-Harbor. Our own student body served as models. Most fashion categories were by decade. Some of the categories were: 20’s,60s, 80s and famous black fashion designers.

Twelfth grader Genevieve Tincel walking in Darnell’s Black History Month fashion show. (Elias Maldanado-Torres)