Latest Scores
  • Feb 7 / Boys' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 37, DuPont - 33
  • Feb 7 / Girls' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 38, DuPont - 8
  • Feb 7 / Boys' SoccerDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 4, DuPont - 1
  • Sep 27 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Springfield Middle School - 45
  • Sep 20 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 28, Fort Caroline Middle School - 28
  • Sep 13 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Westside Middle School - 32
The Student News Site of Darnell-Cookman Middle-High School

The Monitor

72°
72°

The Monitor

72°

The Monitor

All Things Grad Bash
All Things Grad Bash
April 19, 2024

All About Presidents’ Day

History and Traditions

Do you know why Presidents’ Day was implemented? Or who it honors? As students, Presidents’ Day is often considered a long-awaited break, but Presidents’ day is so much more. Presidents’ Day is one of homage and respect to significant figures in America’s history.

History

Presidents’ Day was implemented by an Act of Congress in 1879 for government offices. It was then expanded to include all federal offices in 1885. It was the first federal holiday to honor an American President, George Washington, originally falling on February 22nd.

Later, in 1971, it was shifted to the third Monday by the Uniform Monday Holiday Act. The Uniform Monday Holiday Act moved Presidents Day and Memorial Day to Monday establishing the long three-day weekends we enjoy throughout the year.

Traditional Foods

There are many Iconic American dishes served on Presidents’ Day such as apple pie and White House Fettucine.

According to Emily VanSchmus’ Why Is Apple Pie American? apple pie was one of the first deserts to be made in America. Apple Pie was included in the first American Cookbook (1796) and deemed a symbol of patriotism.

John F. Kennedy’s White House Fettucine dish (Jonathan Boulton)

John F. Kennedy’s white house fettucine consists of Fettuccine and butter-sauteed shallots with sour cream, parmesan and half and half makes a creamy pasta. Its recipes are often accompanied with the phrase “enough for the White House, good enough for your house.”

Observance

Most businesses used to close on this day similarly to Memorial Day before it was shifted to the third Monday. Federal and state government buildings do remain closed as well as some schools depending on various factors.

Nine states don’t observe the holiday according to USA Todays’ editor- Clare Mulroy’s research. In her article What’s in a name? Why states differ on how (and when) to celebrate Presidents Day, the following states were named: Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, Rhode Island, or Wisconsin.

Enjoy

So this upcoming Monday, when you’re relaxing at home, bake or enjoy a nice warm apple pie or alfredo dish and take a second thank Washington and Lincoln for your cool day off!

Sources: usatoday.com, cdkitchen.com, google.com, vecteezy.com, delish.com, and bhg.com