Latest Scores
  • Feb 7 / Boys' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 37, DuPont - 33
  • Feb 7 / Girls' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 38, DuPont - 8
  • Feb 7 / Boys' SoccerDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 4, DuPont - 1
  • Sep 27 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Springfield Middle School - 45
  • Sep 20 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 28, Fort Caroline Middle School - 28
  • Sep 13 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Westside Middle School - 32
The Student News Site of Darnell-Cookman Middle-High School

The Monitor

71°
71°

The Monitor

71°

The Monitor

All Things Grad Bash
All Things Grad Bash
April 19, 2024

Off limits?

Lunch time is different now
Off+limits%3F

Our wonderful population of juniors and seniors has been recognized with three simple benefits during lunch time. Juniors and seniors in Darnell Cookman had always had the privileges to (1) Eat in the courtyard, (2) eat in a classroom, and (3) go off campus for lunch. Students normally juniors and seniors would go off campus to pick up their food and then they would eat outside in the courtyard away from the loud cafeteria, this was something sophomores were excited for next year however, by the late second quarter of the first semester everything changed.

“Students will no longer be allowed to eat in the courtyard or in any classroom during lunchtime due to not following directions.”

This was what every student in DCSOMA heard in the school announcements that one morning in October. Juniors, seniors, and even some teachers were confused as to why this change was made.

“It was definitely because other high schoolers went out of the cafeteria and walked around even though they didn’t have permission,’’ said Ze’nya Smart, a current junior in Darnell Cookman.

Everyone was completely disappointed, including some sophomores and freshmen who had permission to eat in a classroom. However, most thought that this change would not last and that juniors and seniors would recover this privilege and would be allowed to eat in the courtyard at least after winter break.

“I definitely thought they would restart, and we would be allowed to eat outside again, but by the looks of it we are probably staying this way until next school year. ” shared Shanna Hines another high school junior.

‘’I’m still hoping they change this rule because it’s not fun or fair to go out off campus to eat my food and then go to the loud cafeteria instead of the courtyard,” confirmed another high schooler, India Walker.

After coming back from winter break and seeing no change in this rule it leaves many wondering if these privileges ever coming back. If so, when?