Latest Scores
  • Feb 7 / Boys' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 37, DuPont - 33
  • Feb 7 / Girls' BasketballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 38, DuPont - 8
  • Feb 7 / Boys' SoccerDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 4, DuPont - 1
  • Sep 27 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Springfield Middle School - 45
  • Sep 20 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 28, Fort Caroline Middle School - 28
  • Sep 13 / FootballDarnell-Cookman Middle-High School - 0, Westside Middle School - 32
The Student News Site of Darnell-Cookman Middle-High School

The Monitor

68°
68°

The Monitor

68°

The Monitor

All Things Grad Bash
All Things Grad Bash
April 19, 2024

A sit-down with the Senior Class President

Naiomy Colon-Lopez answers questions about herself and her plans for the coming year

Q &A with Naiomy Colon-Lopez, 2024 Senior Class President

• Can you give a short background of yourself?
    “I was born in Puerto Rico and when I was about 3 and a half years old I moved to Massachusetts with my mom and step-dad. In around 2014 we moved to Jacksonville where we’ve been ever since.”
  • How long have you been at Darnell and how has your experience been?
    “I’ve been here since 6th grade, and it’s been pretty good! I can say it’s been stressful, especially this last year but other than that it’s been really good. Being involved in extracurricular activities with friends has been fun and has also allowed me to help serve the community at the same time. The connections formed with teachers have also been memorable because they push you to be the best person you can be and work hard but they are understanding and are always there for us to help provide guidance.”
  • What made you want to become the class president?
    “I really want to plan fun senior activities so that we can enjoy our last year here. I know I can do a great job along with the help of my friends and council and I want to give us the best ending to our time at Darnell.”
  • What specifically do you look forward to changing or improving on within the senior class? How do you plan to do this?
    “Communication. Specifically communication between the seniors, the senior council, and teachers. I want to keep a connection between the senior class council and the seniors to make way for maximum inclusion. To do this, I plan on having monthly meetings with the senior council so that we can always have some activities planned and for the senior class, I plan on asking everyone what they want to see improved and what activities they want, so that I can make it a priority to do what’s best for them and so that when we meet, we can ensure we all have the best foundation for our senior experience.”
  • Are there any activities you have planned yet?
    We do! In May we’re having a pep rally and volleyball tournament, we have senior week all planned out, we have senior takeover planned, we plan on going roller skating, and many more!
  • Is there any idea or even legacy that you’re trying to leave behind for future senior presidents?
    “Be a careful, thoughtful, and understanding person. The world can be so full of malice and hatred, so in a world full of darkness, be the light and the person that people can talk to and find a friend in.”